Therapy & Counselling Resources > Sexual Abuse
Sexual assault can happen to anybody and cause many overwhelming feelings and thoughts. The trauma of a sexual assault can affect people in different ways. There is no right way to behave when something like this has happened to you. Everyone’s experience of abuse is unique.
Sexual abuse often leaves people feeling the abuser has control over them. So it can be important to work together with a counsellor or therapist to regain a sense of control over ones own life.
If you are working through feelings or coming to terms with previous sexual abuse, a counsellor or therapist who is trained in responding to these matters may be able to assist you. People who have memories of childhood sexual abuse often struggle with these memories or the feelings they have left over from the abuse. Moving forward from the sexual abuse can involve talking through feelings and establishing new understandings about oneself with the help of a skilled therapist or counsellor.
If you have experienced a recent sexual assault or are considering civil or criminal action against the person who assaulted you, it may be more appropriate to contact a specific sexual assault service such as a rape crisis centre. If you are currently experiencing sexual abuse or have just been assaulted you require immediate support. You should contact your local hospital emergency department or one of the following support services.
- Rape Crisis (in England and Wales). www.rapecrisis.org.uk.
- Rape Crisis Scotland. Tel: 08088 01 03 02. www.rapecrisisscotland.org.uk.
- Rape Crisis Northern Ireland. Tel: 028 9032 9002.
- Rape Crisis Network Ireland. Helpline: 1800 77 88 88. www.rcni.ie.
- Survivors UK (for men and boys who have been sexually assaulted). Helpline: 0845 122 1201. www.survivorsuk.org.
- Rights of Women (runs a Sexual Violence Legal Advice line). Tel: 020 7251 8887. www.rightsofwomen.org.uk.
This information is only general and is not a substitute for a professional consultation.Tweet
Kate McNultyLooking for inspiration and direction with your career or life goals? You don't have to figure it out on your own! Isolation only keeps you from your most impor...
ArticlesAlcohol And Drug Use
Anxiety And Depression
Grief And Bereavement
Migration And Relocation
Stress And Burnout